Not everyone was built to do intense workouts 7 days a week. However, it is still important that men and women of all ages find time to be active. Livestrong provides 10 low-impact exercises that will prevent injury while allowing you to maintain a healthy lifestyle
1. Swimming - Buoyancy reduces stress on joints and ligaments, and the water creates resistance. Water also cools your body as you move, eliminating the risk of overheating and keeping you more comfortable.
2. Horseback Riding - Riding well means developing strong core and leg muscles, along with general fitness, but it doesn’t involve the percussive impact of many other sports.
3. Cycling - Cycling won’t damage your cartilage and ligaments the way that running can. Riding your bike is a fun exercise to do with others that allow you to enjoy the outdoors and travel further.
4. Rowing, Kayaking and Canoeing – Rowing is one of the few low-impact exercises that strengthen all the major muscle groups from biceps to quads. Kayaking and canoeing are a great alternative for those with knee or leg issues as it only requires upper arm strength.
5. Tai Chi – Tai Chi may seem boring and slow, but newer versions have incorporated working cardio health while still not causing joint and ligament pain. It works on strengthening upper and lower body muscle groups and has slight aerobic benefits.
6. Rollerblading – According to a study conducted by the University of Massachusetts, rollerblading causes less than 50 percent of the impact shock to joints compared to running!
7. Hiking – Hiking uphill rather than walking regular trails gives you much more rewording results. Just remember to wear proper hiking boots and to stay plenty hydrated.
8. Water Aerobics – Water aerobics is a popular among the elderly and those recovering from injuries. However, although the buoyancy makes it feel easier, the greater density means that you get more resistance to any action.
9. Dance - Most forms of dance will give you a great aerobic workout. Since there are so many types of dance, you’re pretty much guaranteed to find one that suits you best. Zumba is a great workout class that incorporates fun Latin dance and fat burning moves.
10. Cross-country or Nordic Skiing – Skiing on a flat surface is a fun way to enjoy the beauty of winter and because it doesn’t overstress any one muscle group, you can ski for hours without injury.
For many, finding workout that is enjoyable without stressing your joints and ligaments isn’t easy. These 10 workouts are fun alternatives to walking or jogging that will keep you fit and happy.